Friday, March 4, 2011

An incredible chain of events came from a homework assignment for my Obstacle Course class.  We had an assignment that called for minimal drawing and writing, something akin to a comic remix, in the spirit of Garfield Minus Garfield.  I ended up taking panels from the Essential Flash that only had Barry Allen's generic love interest in them, such as:

So I erased the words, and replaced them with dialogue from Allison Bechdel's Dykes to Watch Out For, with this result:
I was pretty happy with it, and then at the critique, my teacher said something along the lines of, "This is really great, I should send it to Allison." And I got a lovely email from her last weekend! This comic has her blessings! I still can't get over how incredible that is! And if it couldn't get better, she put my comic on her blog!  Check it out if you want.  She included her original page I took the words from in the blog post.   http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/appropriation

That concludes my fairy tale adventure with back and forth emails with the legendary Allison Bechdel.   

No comments:

Post a Comment